At Berry Systems we deliver a range of turnkey solutions for car parks, warehousing, industrial and commercial buildings. We specialise in the design, supply, and installation of a wide portfolio of top-quality products. This means that facilities are equipped to meet the challenges of the future, while maintaining the architectural aspirations of each project.
Quality and safety are key to everything we do at Berry Systems and we make sure that our customers and their projects benefit from this passion for perfection.
- To manage a team of Construction Managers and Designers ensuring they deliver their duties efficiently.
- To establish good working relationships with customers, attend client meetings with the Construction Managers to report on progress and to iron out any potential issues or differences in the specification.
- Be involved with the Sales & Estimating team to assist in the programming of projects being tendered as well as risk profiling of those projects.
- Once a project is secured, the Project Manager will be required to take over the delivery of the project from the Estimating Team and with the Contract and Design Team to ensure successful delivery.
- Projects can range from design and installation of vehicle restraint systems (VRS), perimeter security fencing, façade cladding, turnkey car park solutions and modular Top Deck car parks.
- Projects will mainly be in UK but there could be occasional traveling overseas.
Purpose of the role
- Ensure exemplar levels of Health and Safety are maintained and promoted at all times.
- To ensure projects secured by the Sales & Estimating Team are executed in a professional way.
- Managing clients’ expectations and ensuring projects are delivered safely, on time, to a high quality and with zero defects.
- Deliver projects successfully to ensure Berry’s reputation is enhanced which in turn will result in repeat business from clients.
- Manage the construction and Design team and other resources professionally to ensure high standard of work and quality is achieved and as a result they would want to continue to work with Berry’s.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- With the Contracts Team, you will oversee the selection and coordination of subcontractors working on various phases on multiple projects.
- With the Design Team, you will review architectural and engineering drawings to ensure that all specifications and regulations are being followed.
- Be the main contact for all clients regarding project requirements
- Regularly review the in-house offering from the Design Team to ensure it remains fit for purpose.
- Review the in-house designs for VRS and perimeter fencing, as well as the designs from Blueprint for cladding to ensure the work is accurate prior to installation.
- Provide close management of the external design teams on the larger projects.
- Drive the in-house Design Team to deliver designs to the Construction team within SLAs.
- Review the individual projects in terms of progress and on a commercial basis with the Construction Managers.
- Develop the Construction Managers to deal commercially with a client, especially in the event of changes on site or to the specification.
- Work closely with the Commercial team to ensure they have a good understanding of the potential risks of a project from the outset.
- Manage the change from designing in Inventor to Tekla as it is better suited for the business.
- Review and adopt document systems like Viewpoint and Fieldview to enhance Berry’s site services and quality control.
- Ensure the new program management systems (above) are used effectively.
- Report any important issues on projects to the Construction Director.
- Overall, direct the endeavours of the workforce through effective leadership and communication, whilst maintaining high standards of health, safety and integrity.
- Ensure a “Right first time approach” by robustly managing quality and specification / standards compliance.
- Ensure adherence and compliance with company procedures and related legislation / standards.
- Produce, monitor and ensure programmes are maintained and works delivered on time.
- Track and control construction schedules and associated costs to achieve completion of projects within time and monies allocated.
- Supervise projects in managing staffing, suppliers, sub-contractors, and schedules related to the day-to-day vertical construction aspects of projects. Review progress reports, check on any reported difficulties, and correct any safety violations or other reported deficiencies.
- Guarantee project legal documents, permits, inspections etc., are completed and signed. Regularly coordinate with other senior staff members – i.e. Directors, Managers, and Resource Development – to ensure a holistic approach to projects that honours construction needs as well as other broad organisational objectives.
- Undertake costs analysis for construction and installation project work.
- Performing risk and value management and cost control Identifying, analysing and developing responses to commercial risks.
- Providing advice on contractual claims.
- Analyse outcomes and writing detailed progress reports.
- Maintain awareness of the different building contracts in current use.
- Know the implications of health and safety regulations.
- Chair team meeting and share best practice with colleagues.
- Develop the programme of work and strategy for delivering the project.
- Conduct safety inspections of sites when work is underway and ensure regulations relating to health safety and the environment (HSE) are adhered to.
- Oversee the running of live projects.
- Use construction management knowledge to ensure the smooth transition to site and to final handover.
- Communicate effectively with a range of people including clients, subcontractors, suppliers, the public and the workforce.
Qualifications required for the position
- A degreed, industry Equivalent in Construction (NVQ level 5/6) or Engineering
- CSCS Black Card
- Proficient in Microsoft Office software
- Programming software – Microsoft Project, Gantt 3
- Contracts/ Project Management
- Contract understanding of JCT and NEC
- Site experience
- Estimating & Construction Feasibility
- Tender Management
- Works phasing